Thursday, March 5, 2009

Jury Duty

When I returned from a one week stay up North to visit Distant Love, the last thing I thought I would see in the mail was a summons for jury duty. Now I’m not one to complain, well maybe just a little but this is my second time serving in the past two years. The first time, I was on the grand jury where I served for about eight weeks and let me tell you, the experience gave me a whole new perspective of where I reside. I wasn't sure if I was ready to get another glimpse into the inter-workings of my community. (Sometimes I enjoyed burying my head into the sand. It's a little grainy but otherwise not bad.)
Since I’m not one to sidestep my civic duty, I dragged myself and my laptop to the county courthouse. There were many of us sitting there waiting our turn to be called before the judge, raise our right hand and take the oath of service even if it put a kink into our palm pilot planning day. While I waited in our brand new county courthouse positioned prominently off of the square, I (listened) eavesdropped to the conversations of my fellow jurors. I didn't hear anyone complain about being here. Folks talked about their families and people that may know in common. There was also the conversation of work and looking for work and of course the housing market. I even thought I saw someone from high school.

Maybe, I shouldn't complain.

I had been dismissed from one civil case involving a local business in which my mama is known to be a patron. I’m thankful that there are folks in this small booming community to handle all of the judicial business of our community. So, I must admit that this jury selection process allowed me to see what is going on in the small world where I live.

Thankfully, the experience didn't make me want to run and take to the hills for cover.

Dot